Blog Post #2
With my experience using MS Word as a student goes way back to computer class back in 1st grade or second. I remember they taught us the basics on how to use and save. But middle school through high school, I was taught to utilize Google Docs over Microsoft, which I would do everything on Google for assignments, group project and so much more. To then going to FSU where everything is Microsoft, and I honestly just adapted to it because I like Word over Google docs, as I noticed different features that makes Word better in my opinion. Simple features such as the "synonyms" button or easy access to the internet through Word make it better than Google Docs.
The standard most meaningful to me is 2.6.a Foster Student Ownership of Learning. This standard highlights the importance encouraging a culture in which students are accountable for their learning objectives and results in both group and independent contexts. Especially when teaching about the use of technology, students should learn how to utilize technology outside of the classroom. When students make this connection outside of the classroom, it increases their intrinsic motivation to learn more about technology. As the facilitator, it is important for students to understand the purpose of learning a skill using technology.
I agree with the label of being "digital naive" for today's youth, as they have a facility for technology compared to other generations because they are so exposed to it. I have noticed the difference within digital immigrant teachers, there are the teachers that are trying to adapt and learn about the ever changing technology, and the other teachers that avoid learning of new technology. After COVID-19 pandemic, so many schools adapted more online technology that made teachers uncomfortable to adapt to new teaching strategies. However, technology is a prominent aspect of society and the "digital native" youth is more comfortable utilizing technology like never before. So as a future educator, it is crucial to find creative ways to apply technology so it is effective and educational in the classroom.
![]() |
| "digital natives" by Cristóbal Cobo Romaní is licensed under CC BY 2.0. |

Comments
Post a Comment